ADRIANE - Audio Desktop Reference Implementation and Networking Environment
ADRIANE is an easy-to-use, talking desktop system with optional support
for braille, which can be used entirely without vision oriented output
devices. Especially access to standard internet services like email,
surfing the web, scanning and reading of printed documents and using mobile phone
extension services like SMS (over the users own mobile phone) are
Especially blind people, who have no or very few computer skills, and/or
have had bad encounters with graphic-focused computer interfaces, may
experience an easy entry to the digital world. But also people with
normal vision, who prefer a less complicated step-by-step menu, instead
of an icon/animation-overloaded and over-complex graphical desktop, may
profit from ADRIANE.
MAIN FEATURES OF ADRIANE
- Reading and writing/answering email, provided you have an email account.
- Text recognition
- Scanning, speaking or saving of printed texts like mail, newspaper articles or books.
- Playing of audio or video files, digital TV via DVB-T.
- Creating and managing of short notes or text files.
- Contact manager
- Compact database for adresses and phone numbers, also connected to the SMS function.
- SMS and GPRS/UMTS
- Using Short-Messaging-Service (reading and writing/answering SMS) and using mobile internet access with your own clellphone. Connection between computer and phone via bluetooth or cable. Caution: While most (even the cheapest) cell phones do support the "modem function" needed for this feature, there are still some that won't work.
- File manager
- For managing your own documents, adresses and notes, multimedia files and such, a rather simple file manager is integrated into the ADRIANE menus, which also allows on-demand inclusion of flash disks and other removable media.
- Graphical programs
- Graphics mode is the "mouse-oriented" desktop known to many users, which is made accessible by the graphical screenreader orca and compiz-fusions zoom functions for vision impaired users. Here, openoffice and firefox as well as many other graphical applications are available.
- Adjustments for volume of speech output, standard page orientation for text recognition, network and other settings can be changed here.
- Customized Functions
- The ADRIANE menu system can be taylored to contain additional applcations, or just a subset (the "favourites") of the user.
ADRIANE uses SBL (Screenreader for Blind Linux Users) from Marco Skambraks and Halim Sahin with Debian-integration by Klaus Knopper, speech-dispatcher/espeak as speech engine. Because of a python bridge, the screenreader also interoperates with orca, which is the graphical screenreader used together with compiz-fusions zoom functions after switching to graphical mode. The easy audio-desktop is being realized by dialog and bash-scripts in a consistent user interface, and is therefore very portable and easily extensible. Sources and packages of extensions specific to ADRIANE, can be found inside the KNOPPIX repositories.
The ADRIANE system is Free Software and available under the conditions of the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE V2. This means, as a short summary, the recipient of the software has the right
- to use the software without restrictions for any purpose, private and for the job, free of charge,
- to modify the software, or let someone else conduct desired modifications,
- to copy and give away the software in its original form, or with your modifications, provided that the new recipients get the same rights that you received with the software.
DONATE TO THE ADRIANE PROJECT
ADRIANE has been part of the KNOPPIX Live CD/DVD since Version 5.3 and is available for download from the KNOPPIX Mirrors. Entering boot option adriane will start the KNOPPIX directly with speech support. The special ADRIANE edition of the KNOPPIX CD version has this option already set by default. Various independent vendors also sell computers preinstalled and preconfigured with ADRIANE, or offer installation support and a short introduction and teaching about ADRIANE.
ADRIANE IN THE PRESS
Knopper.Net is not responsible for the content of external web pages